Thursday, March 18, 2010

Instant retirement!

One of my finished quilt tops for 2010. This was a Block of the Month kit from our now departed, "Sew Creative" quilt shop. I always like to make some changes to make my efforts just a bit different from others participating in the same BOM. For this one, I purchased a couple scrap bags of the fabrics, and made many different tea-cups in the borders, changed three of the fabrics in the four pieced tea pots, and used piping to frame the blocks, instead of a mini-border. The pattern was Sweet Tea by Quakertown Quilts (I think!)

This was a BOM purchased on sale; the pattern is Lori Smith's Ode to the 30's. I highly recommend the BOM's offered by Stitchin' Heaven in Quitman, Texas. Each block kit came packaged with a fabric swatch detail, noting the block piece to which it was assigned. That made it nearly impossible to make a mistake. Also, the pieces were generously cut. Since I'm somewhat of a scrap nut, I kept all the scraps, and if a fabric appeared for the second time, I tried to cut as much as possible from the left-overs. That left me with some nice large scraps for future projects!

This one is Old Tobacco Road, and it is large, as the photo shows. This was completely made from scraps, and is a Bonnie Hunter design. I love it! Her designs always start with small components, but she launches each project with simple blocks, and before you know it, those little pieces have turned into a giant gem! This was my second mystery of Bonnie's designs, but there will be more. I've got Double Delight in progress, and just need to make about 9000 three-inch nine-patches to finish it!


Finally, my most favorite BOM, also started from the shop, Sew Creative. This was Santa's of the World, and included a pieced block as well as an applique block each month. Once again, wanting to put my stamp on it, I made the choice to change some of the mini-blocks to a red pieced frame around some component in the applique blocks. In the center, you can almost see the gold jug, and a little wagon block. Others included a doll, a doll house, a rocking horse, a star, horns, a heart, an evergreen tree, and candles.

To put my own mark on the individual Santa blocks, I embroidered the country of origin and the name of the Santa. The kits included one white fabric to be used for all the pieces of the beard. I found a panel to make a stuffed lamb, and used it to cut the largest pieces , which gave more depth to the beard.

My final alteration was to add the topper, "Here Comes Santa Claus!" For this, I used some software (Printmaster Platinum) to create a banner in the appropriate size, and interesting shape. I marked the letters on red fabric, and appliqued the peppermint stripe letters to it. Then, I trimmed them to leave about an 1/8th of an inch around each letter, and appliqued the doubled letters to the background. It makes it appear to be satin stitched in place, but it is all hand-applique. I think I like this addition best of all! It gave the added advantage of adding some length to a square quilt. Finally, I finished it all off with a piano key border of many of the fabrics used in the top itself.
I finally rounded up the hardware to my quilt frame, . . . put it where it was safe, and it was so safe, I couldn't find it! The frame is up in our den, where I can easily see the television . . . if I want to. I have a quilt nearly finished in the frame, and I'm focusing on finishing it, soon.

Just three days after my last post, my boss called me in to terminate my job. I think I'm mostly over the shock now . . . and beginning to enjoy not hearing the clock radio click on in the morning when I'm warm and cozy in my bed. I should give kudos to General Electric. My mother bought my radio for my 11th birthday, when I was just starting in junior high. It has awakened me for the last 52 years. They just don't build them like that any more! Now it is in semi-retirment, at least. I'll probably have to use it occassionally, but not every day!
So, I'm all set . . . if there is a cotton or wool yarn shortage in our future, I have a very good stash to protect my interests. Since my last day at work, I have been knitting socks (pix next time). Yesterday, I decided that I would begin knitting mittens for Christmas, and I found some lovely patterns on-line. The first pair, called "Cabobble Mittens" are on the needles, and the cuff is nearly finished, using some yarn I hand-dyed. If I can make a pair every two or three weeks, I'll have a nice selection to share at Christmas.
Watch for more pictures and projects here!

40 comments:

paula, the quilter said...

I (early) retired from one job and that retirement lasted 3 months. I now have a hobby job: 20 hours a week and it keeps me in my hobby of quilting!

Ruthie said...

You sure are getting a lot accomplished. Viki is going to have socks for life. I certainly do envy your increased sewing time.

Kathie said...

congrats on your retirement I am excited for you! Always love seeing what your working on , now you will get so much more done.
I want to knit mittens too
will have to check out this pattern
thanks!
kathie

Jan said...

Welcome to the unemployed! I guarantee you in about 6 months you are going to be so busy you will wonder how you ever got anything done when you worked. Your quilt tops are fantastic, as usual. The Christmas one is definitely my favorite.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Linda! They are all so wonderful! I was wondering what you have been up to. I'll have to touch base about Paducah with you soon! I hope your still going aren't you?

佳慧 said...

uthome聊天ut網際空間聊天ut 網際空間聊天高聊天室ut男同聊天kiss貼圖區東洋kiss圖片kiss圖片區kiss臺灣kiss臺灣色情貼圖區mobile01正妹牆sex女優免費影片sex女優短片sog色論壇sorry演唱會spongebobsuperjunior成員tt 同志網tt1069論壇tt1096 同志網tt1096同志網tt同志交友網站tw king片王tw18成年人網tw18免費線上短片tw18貼圖sm卡通影片sm3usj成員介紹sex女優電影85cc聊天室男同志聊天室0951成人頻道下載

Laura said...

All of them are gorgeous Linda! I know you will be loving your retirement, you deserve it!

邱志誠 said...

未來的幸福是用現在買來的。......................................................

chrisi said...

hy verry nice Quilts, greets chris

JeremiahRenne332 said...

人生最大的榮耀,不是永遠不敗,而是屢仆屢戰..................................................

勝傑懿綺 said...

faith will move mountains. ..................................................

怡詩婷婷 said...

Thx ur share........................................

BokHaile8854 said...

人生最大的榮耀,不是永遠不敗,而是屢仆屢戰..................................................

LupeConstan治士 said...

幫你推個文~~期待更新!加油啊! .............................................

韋于倫成 said...

與人相處不妨多用眼睛說話,多用嘴巴思考,.........................

HaroldM22 said...

免費a片觀看,凌辱人妻溫泉 豆豆聊天室 s383情色視訊大網咖 免費視訊影片 1111免費成人電影 嘉義視訊哈啦聊天室 絕色成人 av168成人 視訊聊天室aqaq hbo論壇 45av無碼a片 免費視訊聊天網 後宮電影電影院 免費情愛影片 成人免費視訊-玩美女人 dv影視免費線上 嘟嘟kk拓網視訊 sex888免費看影片論壇,18 成人 美女視訊免費看 sogo論壇a片線上看 聊天室ukiss 免費視訊ggo 飄蟲本土自拍論壇區 情趣 用品成人用品維納斯 666成人視訊網 dodo豆豆聊天室 sex888,sexy girl avdvd無碼情色電影 sexy girl免費aa片試看 sex999免費影片兼職援交 影音視訊免費送 300 點 色美媚部落格免費 18 成人dudu sex,h影片 視訊辣妹34c甜心寶貝直播貼片 18 禁亞洲名模瘋情 aio辣妹交友愛情館 李冠儀性感照 視訊交友icc 6k聊天館 免費影片觀賞,sex女優王國 環球辣妹聊天室2009情色文學168論壇 85街免費影片 a片商 成人貼圖站色情av片 sex520-成人網 視訊美女msvt s383情色視訊網 777美女dvd 台灣a片王-avdvd 視訊美女 寫真

熙辰 said...

謝謝分享好文章.........................

NohemiL_Be06威宇 said...

原來這世上能跟你共同領略一個笑話的人竟如此難得 ............................................................

burtong said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。...............................................................

國昆國昆 said...

It is no use crying over spilt milk..................................................................

俊源 said...

Pay somebody back in his own coin.................................................................

信豪信豪 said...

如此動感的blog!!!.................................................................                           

王名仁 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

羅承霞 said...

No garden without its weeds.............................................................

嘉剛青卉 said...

Quality is better than quantity.............................................................

穎翰翁穎翰 said...

這麼用心的經營你的文章, 當然值得我們留連拜訪的!............................................................

承蘋承蘋 said...

命運,就是自己行為的結果。..................................................

陳佑發 said...

朋友是一面鏡子............................................................

怡如怡如 said...

愛情是一位偉大的導師,教我們重新作人.................................................................

楊儀卉 said...

Give a fool enough rope and he will hang himself...................................................

余憲希余憲希 said...

堅持是為著某種目的或目標,而持續不斷朝向既定方向努力的一種意念。..................................................

cockermom said...

When I saw the post title,Tippica-needle, I knew I had to jump on and take a look. I lived in Lafayette most of my life, moving to Terre Haute in 2005 when I got married!
I was sorry to read about your retirement and hope you are enjoying it. I am also facing early retirement for health reasons but I figure I have more time in the sewing room so it can't be all bad!
Donnie

劉黃志宇建娥 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。............................................................

建邱勳 said...

老天爺賦予了強者的能力,就是要他比弱者多擔待..................................................

吳沛黃以富民 said...

愛情是一種發明,需要不斷改良。只是,這種發明和其他發明不一樣,它沒有專利權,隨時會被人搶走。.................................................................

江仁趙雲虹昆 said...

Quality is better than quantity...................................................................

惠桂刁惠桂刁惠桂刁 said...

你怎麼能經過一片海,而忘記它的藍?......................................................................

孫邦柔 said...

哦~~好地方!希望下次能看到更好的內容和更新喲!..................................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

時間就是塑造生命的材料。

SadeRa盈君iford0412 said...

看到大家都留言-我也忍不住說聲---加油..................................................